Spartacus Stories

Here is a collection of Stories written by many different disabled people about the impact that DLA has on their lives. It also includes stories of fear about the proposed changes to personal independence payment.

Admin: benefitscroungingscum, Lucia and Lucy
to add your story email us at spartacusstories @ g mail . com (without the spaces) (your posts are there, just being scheduled throughout the day) (can you add how you want your 'name' to appear ta)

Monday 16 January 2012

Karen's Story #spartacusstories #spartacusreport

I live alone, I have been seriously ill for over 20 years - I am housebound.  In reality what that means is I have not been able to get out of the house to form a relationship with anyone - the few times I've tried in the past, they haven't been able to cope with the difficulties and limitations of my illness.  I have not been able to have children, because of my illness. 

So I am alone.  This is not what I pictured for my future.  It is deeply painful for me that this is how my life has turned out.  In the absence of any family support I claim DLA.  It means I can pay for a carer, someone to do my shopping, change my bed, cook a meal, do the washing up, clean the house, help me get around the house, wash my sheets which get soiled, someone to tidy the garden a few times a year, give me moral support ...

The things a partner, if they weren't working, or family may be able to offer some help with if I had one.  

I don't.  

DLA is my lifeline.  Pause for a moment and ask -  without it what would happen?  

No shopping, no meals, no washing, no housework or cleaning, sleeping in a soiled bed, living in a filthy house, unable to cook a meal... 

Is this humane?

The "luxury" of having help in the garden may seem a step too far for some... 

Consider this - I am housebound.  This means my house and, if I am well enough to go out there, my garden are literally, my World.  

They are the ONLY places I see all day, every day. Day in, day out.  Is it too much to ask that I have a small outdoor space which I can look at from my window and occasionally sit out in to get some fresh air, which is kept tidy for me? 

It's not a lot really is it? This is Britain in the 21st century. I would say it is a basic human right.  

That is what my DLA is for - to allow me to pay for things which are, or should be, a basic human right.  PIP will not allow me these things.

No comments:

Post a Comment