Spartacus Stories

Here is a collection of Stories written by many different disabled people about the impact that DLA has on their lives. It also includes stories of fear about the proposed changes to personal independence payment.

Admin: benefitscroungingscum, Lucia and Lucy
to add your story email us at spartacusstories @ g mail . com (without the spaces) (your posts are there, just being scheduled throughout the day) (can you add how you want your 'name' to appear ta)

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Diana's Story #spartacusstories #spartacusreport

We've received many incredibly comments left on entries on this blog.  People sharing their stories and reaching out.  I'm reposting some of them on the blog because they deserve attention too.  I'd like to thank everyone who has commented.


Diana


I've been severely disabled now for 9 years and have had 5 hours of care a week. Last year Soc services reassessed and tried to cut it to 2 hours saying despite the fact I can't stand up to deal with pans or boiling water, it was quite acceptable to prepare food on the floor. I argued my case and got the 5 hours back. 
Last week the council reassessed my finances (I had never had to pay before as we didn't have enough income). Now that my husband has retired and our income has dropped by 2/3 I now have to pay a massive amount towards the care- saying I have to use part of my DLA and whereas they used to disregard my husband's "earned" income they now include his pension in our income. They refused to let me cut hours to match what they will pay and if I refuse to pay this extra amount (which I can't afford) they will stop ALL payments as from Monday. I have to give my carers a week's notice but they won't pay that either. They refused to accept most of my care expenses such as the cost of having food delivered because I can't get out to shops but others because I don't get receipts from people like window cleaner, lady who does ironing, people who weed the garden for me etc. So basically they said I was lying.So as from next week I have NO care at all because I simply can't afford to pay this excess amount and despite the fact they have assessed me as needing that care..
No warning, no covering the notice period just a bland "we stop all payments for care on Monday".
I am now in a massive flare up of pain which will only get worse as I struggle to do the things I had help with.
Just down the road from me is a 91 year old man with a fractured spine; bedridden and again with no care at all because he couldn't afford the "contribution" they expect him to make. His wife is in a dementia home and he relies on neighbours to bring food which can be left cold at his bedside. Cleaning, laundry, toilet needs and bathing he is expected to see to himself.
These cuts have already badly affected my mental health, both from the loss of my carer who has been coming for 10 years and is the only person I see from outside the home and from fear of how I am going to manage plus the upset of trying to argue with them. They just don't care.
If they then start reassessing my need for DLA life simply won't be worth living. I don't get out now- what have I to look forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment