Spartacus Stories

Here is a collection of Stories written by many different disabled people about the impact that DLA has on their lives. It also includes stories of fear about the proposed changes to personal independence payment.

Admin: benefitscroungingscum, Lucia and Lucy
to add your story email us at spartacusstories @ g mail . com (without the spaces) (your posts are there, just being scheduled throughout the day) (can you add how you want your 'name' to appear ta)

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Coffee's Story #spartacusstories #spartacusreport

I claimed DLA in 2008 on mental health grounds, I was awarded lower level care and mobility. It changed my life, meant that I could afford (just about!) to run a car, giving me freedom. I could finally get out the house without my carer, this built up over time to me being able to get back to work.

Unfortunately the last year has been a bad year, 3 stays in hospital and being picked up by the police prior to being sectioned under the mental health act. I have tried to work and have had 3 different jobs, all of which my mental health problems have got in the way of. There is no way I can work at the moment - although I am slightly more stable, I am still too unpredictable and unreliable to work and the pressure to work would cause a relapse again.

So I have applied for ESA - I have filled in my medical questionnaire and sent it back. That was December, still waiting to hear what is happening next. And to make it worse my DLA is up for renewal this year too, I have filled in that form too and will be sending it back today.

Even my mental health team have told me to be prepared to appeal with the way things are at the moment. I don't think I can cope with the appeal process.

No job, No ESA and No DLA - I am very scared that it will push me over the edge.

I am convinced that the government won't be happy until we are all at work or pushed to take our lives - either way we will be claiming less benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment