Spartacus Stories

Here is a collection of Stories written by many different disabled people about the impact that DLA has on their lives. It also includes stories of fear about the proposed changes to personal independence payment.

Admin: benefitscroungingscum, Lucia and Lucy
to add your story email us at spartacusstories @ g mail . com (without the spaces) (your posts are there, just being scheduled throughout the day) (can you add how you want your 'name' to appear ta)

Monday 16 January 2012

One Month Before Heartbreak #spartacusstories #spartacusreport

OK, I’m not really in the right frame of mind to be blogging. It’s just taken me nearly 2 hours of intense concentration to do an online shop. But at least I can afford to do that. I can afford to buy my basic necessities. I can afford to take time off work to wallow in my misery (caveat: I am unwell at the moment, but I need to be able to joke about my own depression as that makes it a little less of an issue – I would never denigrate anyone else’s mental illness). I’m sat writing this in my nice, warm, bed in my nice, warm, house.
I shouldn’t consider these things a luxury. But when so many people in this country are living at or below the poverty line, many of those disabled, I count my blessings.

Today marks one month until the Coalition’s ‘consultation’ on changes to DLA ends. Others have written far more eloquently than I could right now about the effect that the sweeping cuts in benefits will have on some of the most vulnerable and disadvantaged people in our society. All I can add is that I am ashamed to be living in a country where someone would feel that this was their only option (warning: mentions suicide).

 Originally posted as part of the One Month Before Heartbreak Campaign Jan, 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment