Spartacus Stories

Here is a collection of Stories written by many different disabled people about the impact that DLA has on their lives. It also includes stories of fear about the proposed changes to personal independence payment.

Admin: benefitscroungingscum, Lucia and Lucy
to add your story email us at spartacusstories @ g mail . com (without the spaces) (your posts are there, just being scheduled throughout the day) (can you add how you want your 'name' to appear ta)

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Janes story #spartacusreport #spartacusstories

The first time I claimed DLA, I was so damaged by the process and upset by the refusal, I just did not have the courage to go on, and it was my sister who finally encouraged me to reapply.  Even then, it had to go to appeal before I got an award, and that was below what I felt I was eligible for under the current legislation.  But, when you are ill, and bearing in mind how the whole process had impacted on me, making me much more unwell to the point of being beddbound, I could not bear to take it further.  Be thankful for small mercies.

That award was for two years.  It had taken a year to get through the process, so the following year I had to reapply.  I filled in a long, long form with all the gory details of my disabilities, and was called to a medical at the same place ATOS do their WCA assessments.  This time the award was 'indefinite' - not lifetime, but until such a time as I improve or worsen, or the rules change, or they decide randomly to have another look at me.

Because I have very limited mobility, I saved up my DLA to buy a mobility scooter.  I only have space to safely keep a very small, foldable one, and they are expensive, but it has meant I can get to the doctors and other appointments now without the damage to my health I used to suffer before I got my travelscoot.

Because the NHS does not prescribe any useful medications for my condition, I also use my DLA to buy the supplements and medications that support my health to the point of being virtually self caring.   Without these various pills and potions, I would be a lot sicker, as I am reminded every time I test this theory by doing without one or other element of my protocol.

There are other additional costs to being disabled, of course.  As I am still virtually housebound and at home all day, my heating bills are higher, and as I rely on internet shopping, I don't get the bargains or the choices an able bodied person has, and then of course there are delivery charges.  I have to rely on prepared food, which costs more.   I do miss going to the shops!

I have a very strong feeling that the 20% reduction in spending that the transfer from DLA to PIP represents will be the greatest mistake in the long run, as disabled people no longer have the wherewithal to look after themselves by buying the help they need, and thus we become more disabled, and may well end up to going into care or hospital.

The government are making it sound like DLA is easy to get, and people who are not eligible are claiming successfully.  I refute this.  The fraud rate in DLA (by the DWP's own figures) is 0.5% - one half of one percent.  That has to be one of the lowest rates of fraud ever, in any benefit.  DLA works.  It is well targeted.  Changing to PIP will cost money in the reorganisation, and later, in increased bills to social care and the NHS.

No comments:

Post a Comment