Spartacus Stories

Here is a collection of Stories written by many different disabled people about the impact that DLA has on their lives. It also includes stories of fear about the proposed changes to personal independence payment.

Admin: benefitscroungingscum, Lucia and Lucy
to add your story email us at spartacusstories @ g mail . com (without the spaces) (your posts are there, just being scheduled throughout the day) (can you add how you want your 'name' to appear ta)

Tuesday 17 January 2012

Aunty Awdurdod's Story #spartacusstories #spartacusreport

I am 45 .Every day I wake up in pain go to bed in pain and struggle though the day at work in pain -being disabled since 2004 has not been fun ,it hurts to stand ,it hurts to sit, it hurts to lie down,my sleep is not deep due to the pain and I quickly become tired.Its also is not cheap being disabled . During the last 12 months my mobility has declined and my osteoarthritis and other conditions have worsened, it takes me 8.5 mins to go from no pain to agony when driving , nearly an hour an a half to get myself up and dressed in the morning [compared to 30mins inc breakfast 12months ago ] , I rarely go out except to work these days and usually stay in touch with friends by the internet - Just to make life bearable since September I had to buy my own up /down bed cost £1,200 ,a riser recliner heated massage chair for pain relief and to enable me to sit in my living room and be able to watch tv [as recommended by my physio ] cost £1,300, clothing with no zips and shoes with no laces £200, incontinence pads £6 a month , the physiotherapist recommend swimming- so I now pay £500 a year membership so I can use a pool after work . During the cold snap I kept dropping things I could not use a phone for example as my fingers were so stiff and painful- it cost me £350 for less breakable phone with touch screen & voice to enable me to make calls and text without using my hands . The special diet for one of my health conditions puts an extra extra £30 a week on my food bill. I could do with help for house hold chores but cant afford it on top of recent expenditure so I struggle and the trip hazards accumulate and increase my risk of falls . I pay £25 a month for a parking space at work -because I cant park further away and walk or cycle in. I'm lucky to still have a job but with cutbacks for how much longer?
Despite all the above I only just got a blue badge in January and when I apply for DLA I shall only qualify for the lower rate of mobility. My point is to qualify for DLA your life has to to already very limited by your disability and you probably already see a multitude of doctors and care professionals who can verify that you need help - to take support away from people who are already doing so much for themselves it to take away their hope and ultimately their human right to live as normal a life as possible. Cutting benefits for the long term disabled may actually increase the effect of their disability on their lives. Is this morally right in a country where we are in the G7 and the DLA bill is less than the war in Afghanistan or the banks bail out?

Originally posted as part of the One Month Before Heartbreak Campaign Jan, 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment